Hartman Center was a part of the extensive holdings of the William Penn family, and its passage was traced through the hands of several owners who farmed the land between 1795 and the mid 1800’s when Christian Hartman purchased about 200 acres.
Christian was born in York County and as a young man visited Reedsville and fell in love with Barbara Wilson. They were married in 1842. Hartman was a farmer and stone mason by trade until he accumulated enough capital to purchase the Hartman farm. In 1888 the barn and “Stone Mansion” were destroyed by a fire. Rather than be discouraged by this misfortune, Christian restored the house and built a larger barn. He had a family of ten children, five of whom died early.
The United Church of Christ came into being in 1957, bringing together a family of churches which had formerly been known as Congregational, Christian, Evangelical, and Reformed. Within a few years, as geographic realignments took place, the property known as “Hartman Center” was formally deeded to the Penn Central Conference of the United Church of Christ.
Penn Central Conference has been offering summer camps and retreats at this location since 1964.